China Part 1 - Beijing Things

There are so many things I want to remember and so I write. 

The city houses 22m people. It was formerly called Peking which is how the airport got it´s IATA code name PEK.

I was very surprised to find dedicated 2-wheeler lanes throughout the city. We saw so many people ride cycles as well as 2-wheelers and this was something I really appreciated.


We saw a MUJI hotel. I actually entered to ensure it was what I thought it was - it was true to the minimalist Japanese design we´re all familiar with.


This pretty street was in DongCheng, near the Dongsi Shitao metro station.


I didn´t know that I would see so many cherry blossom trees in full bloom in Beijing. I may have inadvertently taken a hundred photos of these beautiful flowers and foliage.



I really liked the packaging and design of so many products. This was a delicious and low-sugar tea sold in vending machines across the city.


Just a few men smoking near pretty pink trees.


It´s always nice to see cyclists in huge numbers in any city.


This was outside a mall. Mots big stores/malls/banks/big houses have 2 stone statues on either side - the money dragon - indicating good luck and wealth.


I came across a fruit called hawthorn berries, that was sweet and commonly available - as fruit, as candy and as juice. It was delicious. Imagine being as old as me and discovering new fruits!!


Other commonly used vegetables in local cuisine are bamboo shoots and lotus roots. Below was in a lovely hot pot restaurant where you choose what to include in the hot broth.


Buildings are great, but I appreciate how the government has preserved (for now) the inner alleys containing hutongs. I did some digging into what the traditional house as like and I´ll write about it later.


A typical house entrance.

I think I will go back.

No comments