About Supermarket Cereal Boxes

I went into a supermarket yesterday after many months. That's when I realized I now use apps with my local groceries for most of my deliveries.

Anyhow, during my trip to China, I had an extremely delicious breakfast for 3 days in arow. I would go to this local grocery store and buy the same thing. It was yoghurt with cereal and dried strawberry. And yesterday, I craved for exactly that. So, I went to the supermarket here to recreate it.

I went to the cereal section. It was so big, with so many brands and options, I felt a little lost. That's when I noticed this extremely old man, he had with him a lovely walking stick. I say lovely because the walking stick was very beautiful, with an intricately carved top handle. He had hearing aids on, and to me, he seemed to be struggling. He kept raising his hands to the top shelf and his hands were shaking. He stood in one place, not moving.

As a 35-year-old I myself was struggling choosing a box of cereals, and presumed he was too. I went up to him and asked him if I could help him, maybe he needed some help in taking the box from the top shelf?

He looked at me and told me smilingly. "Thank you for asking. But I am guarding these 4 boxes. They are the last 4 boxes of Oreo cereal in Dubai. My grandson and I went to Lulu, Choithrams, Carrefour, Spinneys. Nothing. All sold out."

He pointed to the 4 boxes and said "I am going to buy all 4. But I ´m waiting for my daughter to come. I want to confirm this is the one. Children are very specific. My grandson loved this so much. Can you believe that all Oreo cereal boxes are sold out? This is the last supermarket that has these. And only 4 boxes left."

He looked at me through his glasses and once again thanked me. He stood there the whole time I was in the supermarket, ensuring no one else buys them.

That interaction was very wholesome for me. The old man must´ve easily been 80, he was a local Emirati and I loved what he was doing. 

Anyhow, I purchase colored fruit loop cereal and dried strawberries, and hope to recreate my Shanghai breakfast in Dubai.

No comments