Film Festivals - Alserkal Dubai

Over the last couple of months, I decided to attend 2 films, one played under the Reel Palestine festival, and the other, the Franco Film festival. I'm grateful for the mere existence of Cinema Akil in Alserkal Dubai.

Reel Palestine

I knew little about what went down/goes down in Palestine, and I was grateful for an opportunity to support and understand a little more. I went for Mediterranean Fever and I quite liked it. I'm not a very picky movie watcher, as long as there is some laughter and there isn't a lot of murder, I'm okay. I liked this movie because I got to take a peek into the lives of families living in Palestine, how it is to live in a land that is torn by decades of war and spoilage. 

Franco Film Festival

The movie we watched was called Habib, a story about a young immigrant from Morocco, trying to become an actor in Belgium. I think the highlight was the talk with the director, Benoit Mariage. He seemed so down to earth & calm.


I hope to watch more regional and independent movies this year.

No comments