An Evening at the Louvre in Abu Dhabi

If you're an art lover, a design enthusiast or you're just looking to spend a couple of hours marveling at all the beautiful man made creations, you ought to visit the Louvre in Abu Dhabi. Nestled right beside the sea, capturing beautiful sunsets, the Louvre houses some of the oldest relics, manuscripts, paintings, statues, carvings, pottery, coins and art installations - to name a few.

The day was hot, touching the early 40s. But I think the moment I saw the soft ripples of water surrounding the building and the occasional wind, I was alright.

Below are just some of the photos from my visit. The whole experience was surreal to say the least.

The entrance reminded me of shrines in Japan.





There was a map of the Louvre in almost every language. Okay, not every language, but so many of them.


An Italian artist who, after hearing the myths of oasis filled with water and light, painted these series of panels.


I was excited to see familiar places inked to the floor.



It really struck me how the after life was celebrated so elaborately. I mean 'ancestors' know everything.


Hieroglyphics on a mummy bandage from Egypt.






Taking photos.




Still taking photos.


My photo - couldn't resist.


Mom and child.



I love how - sometimes - the attire was worth eyeing.


The day after I visited the Louvre, a friend asked me if there was any particular exhibit that got etched in my mind. It was the below. A fold-able screen with the world map painted. The screen was made by the Japanese in the 17th century. I was in awe how they got it almost right - atleast everything east of Europe. By navigating on ships, they got the borders right. I mean - wow!


Tiles. Turkey.



The Mughal empire.
How ornate are the clothes. The jewels, embellishments.




Before the advent of photography, art involved realism. Portraying heroes, wars, people. But after the advent of cameras, art moved from realism to abstract and focused on the artist's creativity.



Modern art. 20th century/ USA.


Crystals elucidating the concept of art and light.


We sat for a bit to rest our feet. To allow the marvelous exhibits to sink in. To watch the sunset.




Notes:

I would recommend going around 2-3 hours before sunset.
Wear something comfortable - comfortable shoes - there's quite a bit to walk around and comfortable clothing. And if you're like me and get cold at the drop of a hat - you may want to carry a shawl, stole, kimono, jacket - anything.
Once you finish, you can watch the sun set.
If you're an art connoisseur you can take a guided tour.
You can buy tickets online or even once you get there. Tickets can be bought online for around 63 AED.
There are plenty of benches to rest your tired soles.
The museum is closed on Mondays.
It opens around 10 am and typically closes by 6:30 pm on weekdays and 10 pm on weekends. Check here for updated timings.
The museum pretty much has all the facilities you may need or want - you can check here.
There's plenty of parking available withing the premises.

Have you been to the Louvre in Abu Dhabi? Let me know which exhibit stuck with you.

No comments