Lone Cycle Rickshaw


Occasionally, in Chennai, you get to spot a yellow cycle rickshaw. This mode of transport has almost become like the Amby itself. Old. More like antique. Adding historical value to the street. I further ran into these in Jaipur. Like the one below. The Jaipuri patiently waited for his ride. For a mere 20 bucks, they cycle their way through heavy traffic, burning hot sun, and pure labor. There is no machine to help him. Sometimes you feel sorry for them, and tip them an extra. Beautiful ancient vehicles, it's only a matter of time until they become totally extinct and some machine replaces them.


4 comments

  1. I'm reminded of the scene in 'Nadodikattu' where Mohanlal and Sreenivasan are hounded by these cyclerikshaw-wallas in Chennai (although they think it is Dubai!) :)
    Also, sometimes I feel jealous of manual labourers in that their work itself gives them ample exercise. The second photo speaks a lot too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, the way he is sitting so patiently on his own cycle rickshaw ! I still get so fascinated when I see them ! And yes, they do get their exercise, but I feel bad for them, in that they get too much of it that it exhausts them !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the cycle is a machine albeit a very old one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah I actually meant the automatic machine - And I meant some machine may replace the human :O

    ReplyDelete